Gaming display options continue to expand with new brands, features, and capabilities. It’s an exciting time to be a PC gamer, but it also means that choosing the finest gaming display for your rig is becoming increasingly difficult. The options range from screen-smoothing technology (Nvidia G-Sync and AMD FreeSync) to ultra-fast refresh rates that can approach 360 Hz.
There are thick 4K TVs for pixel enthusiasts that are just as taxing on your wallet as they are on the latest graphics cards. Fortunately, we have a plethora of fantastic options for you to replace your aged old monitor.
Choosing the Right Gaming Monitor
When looking for the finest gaming monitor for your rig, there are several panel types to consider: IPS (opens in new tab), TN (opens in new tab), VA (opens in new tab), and even OLED (opens in new tab), each having their own set of advantages and disadvantages. You must not overlook screen size and aspect ratio, which effect your views, work space, and, once again, your bank account. And we haven’t even gotten into extras like speakers, RGB, or port options. With so many alternatives, how does a player decide?
Check out our PC Display Buying Guide for more information on how to choose the best gaming monitor or otherwise (opens in new tab). Based on our own testing, we’ve compiled a list of the finest gaming displays available right now.
Quick Shopping Suggestions
Consider the following while looking for the finest gaming monitor for your PC:
G-Sync vs. FreeSync G-Sync is only compatible with Nvidia graphics cards, whilst FreeSync is only compatible with AMD graphics cards. Although G-Sync can be used on a FreeSync-only monitor, performance is not guaranteed. Although FreeSync monitors are less expensive, their performance is equivalent. See our Nvidia G-Sync vs. AMD FreeSync comparison (opens in new tab) article for a thorough comparison of the two technologies’ performance.
TN IPS VA for image quality. In general terms. Because of their narrower viewing angles, TN monitors are typically the quickest but also the most affordable. IPS panels feature slightly slower response times than VA monitors but superior colour. VA gaming displays have the best contrast, but they also have longer response times.
The higher the refresh rate, the better. This figure represents the number of times your monitor refreshes with new information every second (in hertz (Hz), and thus the number of frames per second (fps) the monitor can display. Larger values indicate smoother visuals. For gamers, refresh rate is very crucial, so look for a monitor with at least 75 Hz (most gaming displays have at least 144 Hz) and the lowest response time you can find.
Also Read: Best Affordable Gaming PC
The Best Gaming Monitors Available Today
For many gamers, the Dell S3222DGM is the greatest gaming monitor. This successor to the well-received S3220DGF(opens in new tab) features a 32-inch VA(opens in new tab) panel, QHD resolution, and a 165 Hz refresh rate with Adaptive-Sync(opens in new tab) support. Other advantages include DCI-P3 coverage of 85 percent and a display curve with an 1800mm radius.
Dell, on the other hand, knocks it out of the park with the S3222DGM’s contrast ratio (opens in new tab). VA panels are known for their great contrast, but the S3222DGM has an astonishing 3,000:1 contrast ratio, easily outperforming IPS competitors. In instrumented tests, our sample outperformed that figure by a third, coming in at 4,000:1.
This 32-inch monitor provides lots of vertical screen real estate without the need for scrolling, as well as 1440p resolution (opens in new tab), which is the current sweet spot between image quality and gaming performance. While the S3222DGM is primarily aimed towards gamers, we discovered that it is also excellent for general productivity and anything in between.
While the S3222DGM does not support HDR(opens in new tab), its exceptional contrast compensates for that missing “bullet point,” and its overall performance is difficult to surpass at this price point. With Dell’s customary good build quality, this is an excellent monitor for enthusiasts seeking to create a mid- to high-budget gaming PC.
- 31.5-inch QHD 2560 x 1440 Curved (1800R) Gaming Monitor / 1ms (MPRT)/ 2ms (gray to gray) response time
- 165Hz refresh rate / LED Edgelight system, 99% sRGB color gamut / 178-degree H/V Viewing Angle
- AMD FreeSync Premium Adaptive-Sync Technology /178-degree H/V Viewing Angle
- 2 x HDMI (ver. 2.0) with HDCP 2.2 / 2 x HDMI (ver. 2.0) with HDCP 2.2
- 1 x Headphone-out jack / AC 100-240 V (50/60 Hz)
|Screen Size||31.5 Inches|
|Total HDMI Ports||2|
The Monoprice Dark Matter 42770, which costs roughly $300, is an easy recommendation for a 1440p gaming monitor with a wide colour gamut, good contrast ratio for an IPS display, and solid build quality. At this price, you’re getting a really basic monitor, but Monoprice took the time to include the functions that are most important to budget gamers.
The Dark Matter 42770 has a 1ms GTG response time and a maximum refresh rate of 180 Hz. Another plus is that it supports both AMD FreeSync and NVIDIA G-Sync Adaptive-Sync technology.
Although the monitor does not support HDR, it has an excellent native dynamic range, a wide colour gamut, and excellent gamma tracking. Given that this is an IPS screen, its deep blacks are welcome here, with colour and contrast on pace with monitors that cost hundreds of dollars more.
While the Dark Matter 42770 hits a lot of high notes, we’d be negligent if we didn’t emphasise the lack of USB ports and speakers. However, given its affordable pricing and performance, we’ll gladly forgive those drawbacks in exchange for the excellent overall performance provided by this 27-inch monitor.
- IGZO Technology: IGZO technology uses semiconductors made of Indium Gallium Zinc Oxide, rather than the more common Amorphous Silicon (a‑Si) found in ordinary panels. IGZO semiconductors are significantly more energy efficient and respond much faster than a‑Si semiconductors, resulting in lower power consumption, less heat, more accurate and vibrant colors, and faster response times.
- 180HZ Refresh Rate: The 180Hz refresh rate is a whopping three times faster than the 60Hz rate found on most monitors, so while your opponent is trying to line up a shot on you, you’ve already gotten your shot off.
- Adaptive Sync: Adaptive Sync technology puts an end to choppy gameplay and broken frame rates with fluid, artifact‑free performance at virtually any framerate, including this monitor at its 180Hz maximum.
- VESA Compatibility: The stand can be removed to allow access to the 75×75 VESA mount pattern for use with a wall or desk mount.
- Provides stunning detail, while IGZO panel technology ensures rich, accurate color reproduction and an ultrafast 1ms response time.
|Refresh Rate||180 Hz|
|Screen Size||27 Inches|
|Resolution||QHD Wide 1440p|
The MSI Optix MPG321UR-QD provides a superb blend of high performance and a plethora of features at a price that is less than $900. The 4K gaming monitor offers superb colour saturation, is well-calibrated right out of the box, and delivers stunning HDR quality at this price point.
It also has HDMI 2.1, a 144Hz refresh rate, and a GTG reaction time of 1ms. With HDR content, we measured max SDR brightness of 424 nits and over 700 nits. Similarly, its colour gamut was 117 percent of DCI-P3.
Although the Optix MPG321UR-QD was one of the most vivid monitors we’ve ever tested, we wish it had gamma presets because properly adjusting the display resulted in contrast and light output drop-offs.
- IPS Panel – Provides 1ms fast response time, optimizes screen colors and brightness.
- UWQHD High Resolution – Games will look even better, displaying more details.
- 144Hz Refresh Rate – Respond faster with smoother frames.
- 1ms Response Time – Eliminate screen tearing and choppy frame rates.
- NVIDIA G-Sync Compatible – Prevent screen tearing or stuttering, producing ultra-smooth lag-free gameplay.
|Refresh Rate||144 Hz|
|Screen Size||31.5 Inches|
|Hardware Interface||USB, HDMI|
|Connectivity Technology||USB, HDMI|
The MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD is the perfect gaming monitor for your rig if you like your games to be exceptionally colourful. After our recommended calibration, this monitor had the broadest colour range we’d ever seen: 112.19 percent of DCI-P3. 90 percent DCI-P3 would be outstanding, indicating that this is one color-saturated screen.
Contrast is very impressive for an IPS panel, reaching 1,129.1:1 after calibration. In terms of performance, this 165 Hz screen outperformed the 170 Hz Gigabyte M27Q in our testing.
Color purists, on the other hand, may be disappointed by the lack of a sRGB mode, given the MAG274QRF-sRGB QD’s coverage of 166.33 percent. Its backlight strobe for combating motion blur is likewise a letdown. You can’t use Adaptive-Sync with it since the brightness drops by around half and it causes ghosting, which causes a parallax effect with fast movements. Furthermore, this is yet another gaming display that offers HDR but with no discernible image improvement above SDR.
But if you can get past those constraints, you’ll be treated to the most colourful monitor we’ve ever seen in our testing.
- Rapid IPS – Produces no image distortion and minimum color shifts when viewed from different angles. Additionally, the response time of the Rapid IPS display is shortened to 1ms GTG to eliminate monitor blur.
- WQHD (2560×1440) High Resolution – The beauty is in the details. Optix MAG274QRF-QD supports resolution up to 2560 x 1440, allowing gamers to examine larger game scenes compared to traditional FHD monitors.
- 165Hz High Refresh Rate & 1ms GTG Fast Response Time – Have the most advantage in game genres which require very fast and precise movements. Optix MAG274QRF will bring you the smoothest gaming experience.
- Quantum Dot – Experience the most realistic images which are bursting with a dazzling range of over one billion colors. With the most accurate color reproduction, enjoy every scene as if you are living in it.
- Gaming OSD App – Control your monitor display under a software window, effortlessly change your settings with your keyboard and mouse. In-game hotkeys allow you to switch settings in-between games..Adjustable Stand – Optix MAG274QRF-QD is built to make you as comfortable as possible while gaming. You can easily change the position of the monitor for maximum ergonomics and optimum viewing experiences..HDR Ready – Brings you the most vivid images. Produce images with more details, a wider range of color, and looks more similar to what is seen by the human eye when compared to traditional monitors.
|Refresh Rate||165 Hz|
|Screen Size||27 Inches|
|Resolution||QHD Wide 1440p|
The Viotek GNV34DBE is a high-performance and reasonably priced curved gaming monitor. Its 1500R curvature added an immersive touch while gaming, filling our peripheral view. Despite its tight curve, we found the GNV34DBE to be suitable for working. There was no distortion, and we liked having several windows open for increased productivity.
But it’s not only about the curve of the GNV34DBE. You also get a 144 Hz refresh rate, as well as reaction speeds and input lag that were competitive with 144 Hz rivals in our testing. We experienced the incredible pixel density of a 1440p screen on the battlefield, as well as seamless gaming without screen tearing, due to FreeSync. Color and contrast were also competitive with more expensive game monitors.
The GNV34DBE’s edge-lit backlight also makes it a good HDR display, providing a substantial improvement over a normal SDR monitor. The stand’s build quality is subpar for its modest price. However, for a fast gaming monitor with an effective curve, the Viotek GNV34DBE is a good buy.
- UW-QHD MONITOR ► HDR-Ready upgraded VA panel delivers ultra-wide 3440x1440p resolution w/ 178° viewing angles. Renders deep blacks, brilliant whites and vivid RGBs with 4000:1 contrast ratio.
- ENHANCED COLOR CONTROL ► Fine-tune the display’s gamma, hue and saturation levels on-demand. Or choose from 7 display presets. Also features Noise Reduction, DLC and Super Resolution options.
- PRO-GAMER PERFORMANCE ► Play like the pros with lightning-fast 144Hz monitor refresh rate, easy-access response time Overdrive and Adaptive Sync (compatible with FreeSync and G-SYNC). GAMEPLUS targeting crosshairs and FPS/RTS display options available.
- SUPERIOR IMMERSION ► Tight 1500R curvature minimizes distortion and glare. The 21:9 aspect ratio brings more content into your view. Reduce eyestrain with adjustable blue-light filter.
- 3-YEAR ZERO DEAD PIXEL POLICY ► Fully backed by Viotek’s 3-year pixel-perfect promise and our world-class ZERO dead pixel policy.
|Specific Uses For Product||Multimedia|
|Refresh Rate||144 Hz|
|Screen Size||34 Inches|
|Screen Surface Description||Matte|